EMC/H1-b

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 04:57 pm, Joseph Vincent wrote:
> I was speaking with a friend of mine the other day who was telling me about
EMC and the extraordinary amount of H1-bs they had working for them.  So, a
whole bunch of us are out of work, but EMC keeps hiring H1-bs?  How does that
happen?

Good morning!  My, you must have been sleeping for a year or two.

This is an issue that a lot of bush-haters are on to but is not getting much
press.  Companies like EMC and Sun and some other big names that escape me
right now have been lobbying congress and donating to presidential campaigns
to both allow more H1B's in and conveniently forget about some of them that
are already here.  And to stoke up the L1 program, which has many fewer
restrictions and less attention than the H1B program.

> Are they not paying a comparable salary?

They are paying low salaries and treating them like crap.  Because thay can.
It still is a comparative fortune to what they would be making back home,
though.

> Don't they have to certify something to the government, re salary, etc.?

There are several websites that the jobs are advertised at, but most people
don't know about, so that they can say they advertised these jobs and nobody
applied.  There was a discussion about this at the
http://www.windnetworking.com meeting this morning.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "Light is meaningful only in relation to darkness, and truth
DKK D  presupposes error.  It is these mingled opposites which people our
DK KD  life, which make it pungent, intoxicating.  We only exist in terms
DDDD    of this conflict, in the zone where black and white clash."
                                                  - Louis Aragon (1897-1982)