Printing to WinME via CUPS and Samba

Hi All,

I'm having troubles printing to a HP-R40 attached to my winME machine
from my debian machine.

I have samba and cups installed on the linux box, and can mount windows
shares without problem. I have made sure the printer is shared as well.

I added the printer via the cups web admin tool, and when trying to
print a test page, cups thinks things worked fine; no obvious errors in
access_log or error_log (error_log shows filters pstops, pstoraster and
rastertoprinter being applied).

On the ME side, I see the job being spooled, and then change to print
status. The job then times out. I increased the timeout value to 60sec,
to no avail; still times out. I can print a test page on ME itself; so
it's not the printer.

I didn't make any changes to the standard cupsd.conf, and have the
following in my smb.conf:

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
;   path = /tmp
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
;   public = no
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   printer admin = root

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /etc/samba/drivers
   browsable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   write list = root

I know others have this working; so I'm doing something wrong.... I just
don't know what. It would help if ME would give me some more info on
what is going wrong. But I can't find the logfiles (if they even exist)
to tell me.

Any thoughts on things to investigate/change?

STeve