bringing my computer into the 21st century

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 20:38, Scott Prive wrote:

> "Balance" for your budget... removing bottlenecks is what you want. I think
> you'll get a lot more targeted advice if you state the intended purpose of
> your system, and what you are willing to spend.

I would like to spend some of my Copious Free Time getting more
experience with databases.  The computer that I want to upgrade would be
used as a database/web/mail server, not as a desktop machine, and not
doing anything that's really CPU-intensive.  For that reason, I'm more
interested in having big fast new disks than a big fast new CPU.

I don't have any practical justification for the RAID aspect; I just
think it's cool, and refurbished SCSI drives are finally cheap enough
that I can buy a few of them with money in my "toys, books, and candy"
account.

--
"The 'everything changed [after 9/11]' argument often really boils down
to 'everything we were always for turns out to be right'..."