bringing my computer into the 21st century

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 13:57, dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> A cheap SCSI card (under $100) will be Ultra Wide or possibly Ultra2.
> You can get a brand name Ultra160 for $250, or an Ultra320 for $300ish.

OK.

> Refurb'd Seagate U160 drives, 18GB each, are about $160 each.

On pricewatch.com, I found someone offering 36.4GB IBM Ultra2 hard
drives for $54.99 each....

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/strg_ibmDRHS36d.html

> So, for a nice little 5 drive RAID (striping, parity, one spare) you
> would spend $250 + (5 x 160) = $1050 and have a little less than 80 GB
> of nice, fast, reliable storage.

I thought you only needed 3 drives (not counting spares) to do striping
plus parity, if you're doing it with RAID 5.

--
"The 'everything changed [after 9/11]' argument often really boils down
to 'everything we were always for turns out to be right'..."