H1B

"Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote:

>I've worked alongside a number of immigrants and found that they simply take
>advantage of whatever opportunity is presented.  Some are competent, some
>aren't:  it varies just like everyone else.  If too many opportunities are
>presented, then it's the fault of policy-makers not the immigrants themselves.
> Policy-makers have to strike a balance between excessive protectionism (which
>often forces developers/researchers to take their work overseas) vs.
>inadequate safeguards for local commerce (which can put companies at a
>competitive disadvantage).  Not an easy task even at times when there isn't
>polarized/hysterical politics going on.  If you're trying to influence the
>policy-makers, put yourselves in their shoes, consider the pros and cons in
>detail, and make an informed argument.  Also contemplate parallels in other
>industries, like the fracas in stem-cell research which is likely to be pushed
>almost entirely outside the USA.

It's definitely not the immigrants because they are victims too.  It's
the politicians and corporate employers.  Regarding moving jobs
off-shore, we need to have a "if you want to sell here, you have to
employ from here" trade policy.  Corporations can move off-shore but
then they can't make money off the 300M people in the U.S.  Politicians
can enact this policy thru regulations and tax incentives.  Workers can
influence the politicians and companies by voting and boycotts.  Your
point about considering "parallels in other industries" is well taken.
I seem to recall that BMW created a factory in South Carolina because of
favorable tax incentives.  These incentives created not only direct jobs
at the factory but as a dividend it created indirect jobs in the
surrounding communities.   I vaguely remember that Toyota moved some of
their factories here in part to improve market penetration.  i.e.
Consumers feel better about purchasing goods made locally.