H1B and veterans

I don't know if anyone ever thought of this or considered the problem of
patriotism.
I was told that companies are laying off retuning veterans in place of
laying off
the H1B visas. Can you imagine going off to serve your country only to be
laid off
and replaced with a h1b visa when you got back if you made it back.
And one other thing the workers were suppose to back when they were done
working here.
Many are getting permanent residency and are bypassing the normal
immigration process.
One of the H1bs where I worked said it was lealized slavery. I thought this
country did
away with slavery.
Rick