H1B

On Sat, 31 May 2003 14:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
"Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote:

> You have a point.  Globalism is something you can rail against and
> protest all you want, but in the end the commerce and jobs will
> eventually find the most cost-efficient locale.
>
> Ironically it is the Internet and long-distance network pioneered by
> Americans which has enabled companies to shed their international
> boundaries and enabled them to utilize workforces overseas.  Also
> ironically it is these media which have led to increased incentives
> for schoolchildren everywhere to learn English and the use of American
> technology from an early age.
>
> What made America great in the past, and can in the future, is ongoing
> innovation.  If we collectively rest on our laurels and permit the
> rest of the world to "catch up" in adopting American technology
> developed in the past, then of course the jobs will flow ever outward.
>
> Protectionism, while it may stem losses for a while, won't create new
> jobs for American technology workers.  Only innovation can.  To me
> that has been obvious my whole life.
Well said Rich.
What we are seeing is something that has been going on in this country
for many years in other industries. Not only between the US and other
countries, but between states. We've seen whole indistries move from one
region of the country to another, and posssibly overseas. Protectionism
was one of the biggest issues in the 1840s and 1850s. The North wanted
higher tarriffs to protect their industries from foreign competition,
the South wanted cheap imports. Or, even earlier where the British were
importing tea from India until it got dumped into Boston Harbor.

Reality is we are in a global economy. The Internet is only one tool
that is enabling this. The other is relatively fast and efficient global
travel.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group