H1B Visas...

Interesting you mention the L-1 visa as I was just reading an article in
the NY Times about them. The one good thing in the H1-B field is that
the quota goes dramatically down on Oct 1. Let's make sure Congress
doesn't extend it again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/30/technology/30VISA.html

Here's the frightening part about the L-1 visa situation:

"In 2000, Congress increased the annual cap on more restrictive
temporary visas )B? known as H-1B visas ? for highly skilled foreign
workers to 195,000 from 115,000. That quota will drop automatically to
65,000 on Oct. 1 unless Congress approves an extension, a move that is
considered unlikely.

In the last two years, the trend in the use of H-1B visas has declined
sharply. Many experts say the use of L-1 visas will grow.

Unlike the H-1B visa, the L-1 does not require employers to pay workers
prevailing wages. In addition, there is no cap on the number of L-1 visas."

No limits & no salary restrictions... scary!

Drew

Michael Webb wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, but is there a difference between H1B Visas.. And L-1
> Visa's?  There is an article in CNET about this.  Also is there really
> anything we can do about this?  Should we all send a letter to Govenor
> Romney I would be happy to do this.  Is he the one that the letter should
> go to it seems as though it should go to the federal level of the
> goverment??

Drew Taylor          *  Web app development & consulting
drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres