samhain (System cracked, a story)

Derek Martin wrote:
> You need a total ste security plan.
>
> ... port 25 is a privileged port, and
> opening it requires root privileges[1]...
>> ... DHCP server only needs raw access to an Ethernet device.
> ...which requires root privilege[1].
> Which is why diligence is required.  If you don't stay on top of it,
> you almost may as well not bother.  In the end, it's much less work to
> have a complete site security strategy and diligently maintain
> software updates

Your arguments sound like those of a security consultant-for-hire who will be
happy to come over and for, say, $2500 in monthly fees set up and maintain a
customized "site security plan".

And my argument doesn't conflict with yours at all; obviously, if you have
more than $30,000 a year worth of data to protect, then by all means you
should invest about that amount (or more) in site-security planning and
maintenance.

I have an MP3 library, a collection of old email, and the obligatory 7 years
worth of financial records.  If it all got lost in a house fire, then I might
complain to the heavens about how unfair life is--but I wouldn't be out
$30,000 or even $10,000.  Life would somehow carry on.

In fact most home users have even less at stake than I do.  Diligence really
is not a good investment for us:  in the worst possible case, assuming we have
that third line of defense in place (backup tapes), after a security break we
simply spend a few hours or days reinstalling and putting our system back
together.  It takes less time to do a restore than to write up your first
security plan, let alone keep it current on a month-to-month/year-to-year
basis.

That's why my argument is orthogonal to yours:  it calls for making security
breaches less common, through architectural improvements to the system.

Linux vs. Microsoft has an interesting challenge in this area.  Bill Gates
finally woke up about a year ago to the fact that his entire legacy is
threatened by a mushrooming number of security problems.  So by edict, he was
able to get the company focused on re-architecting the entire system to put
the bulk of those problems in the past.  It will be painful and it will take a
long time, but as software dictator of the overall system, Gates is in a
better position to force necessary change than anyone in the freeware
community is.

Linus Torvalds could, I suppose, attempt to shepherd Linux developers into a
new security model (which would in place of "root" for a process that needs
access to raw sockects or to open a single well-known port like 25 would
define ACL's or some more-sophisticated method of launching programs within a
narrowly-defined security definition).  But Linux is suffering at this point
from the 1980s Unix problem:  too many rival distributors who want to define
the one true way of doing things, and convince everyone else to go along.  You
can't implement a new security model without changing the apps, and you can't
change the apps without kernel support.

That's the thrust of my argument.  Put another (frightening) way, I see
Microsoft scoring some big wins over Linux in the next 3 years unless this
security issue is addressed in a cooperative fashion by the Linux developer
community.

Why is it important?  Well, the number of standalone Linux boxes connected to
home cable-modems exceeds, probably by far, the number of corporate sites
which can affort $30K+/year in security management.  Those standalone boxes
represent a huge threat to Internet stability unless security is fixed in a
global, set/forget way for home users.  The likely alternative is that
cable-modem suppliers will increasingly strangle the useful connectivity of
home-based computers in general.

You are calling for diligence at the per-site level.  I am calling, in turn,
for diligence at the macroscopic, developer level.

-rich