Fwd: Microsoft buys UNIX.....

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 17:54, David Kramer wrote:

> Microsoft buys UNIX,

Well, strictly speaking, they're not buying *Unix*, just a Unix
*license*.  If MS bought all of SCO's intellectual property in Unix ...
that would just be *too* weird to contemplate.

I suspect that there was some deal cut between MS and SCO before SCO
filed its lawsuit against IBM: "If you sue them, we will pay enough for
a Unix license to make up for the cost of the suit."

Keep in mind that this suit serves MS's interests *even if* SCO doesn't
win, because as long as the case is dragging through the courts, MS
salespeople can say, "Hey, if you adopt Linux, who knows what kind of
liability you could open yourself up to."

The best possible result of this trial, therefore, would be to have SCO
laughed out of court.  (IANAL, but it seems to me that since SCO is not
pointing to any specific piece of Linux code or any specific IBM
employee that carried contamination from SCO's property, IBM has a
decent chance of winning a motion to dismiss the case.)  The second-best
possible result, of course, would be a victory by IBM at trial, the
sooner the better.

--
perl -le"@w=(q[dm='r 0rJaa,u0cksthe';dc=967150;\
dz=~s/d/substrdm,(di+=dc%2?4:1)%=16,1ordi-2?'no':'Perl h'/e