Python and GTK2 poll

-------Original Message-------
From: "David J. C. Beach" <beach at verinet.com>
Sent: 05/22/03 12:07 AM
To: Scott Prive <scottprive at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Python and GTK2 poll

>> On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 22:20, Scott Prive wrote:
>> Out of curiousity I am interested in knowing how many folks here have
been
>> developing applications using Python + GTK.
>>
>> As for my views, I'm floored at how well the two work together, and at
the
[snip]
> an application working on multiple platforms. That's pretty sweet. :-)

>I've been using wxPython with the GTK implementation of WxWindows, and
>like it a lot.  Mostly I've just been playing with toy applications, but
>it is sooooo easy.  I really like having a good language and good tools.

>In my opinion, the Python community should adopt wxPython

Absolutely, great tools make all the difference. Python is so simple without "getting in your way". It's almost like pseudocode.

I'm also making "toy" applications, and have a working GTK application with menus, toolbars, and stubbie callbacks... 120 lines of code for a "native" (on Linux) windowed application. That is sooo refreshing.

I looked at the wxPython bindings briefly before. The fact that it uses the native toolkit for the OS is a nice benefit.

What I didn't like about wxP was it looked like it was trying to stay faithful to the Microsoft model. What I would prefer is another layer of abstraction between toolkits and programming models, while still using the native OS widgets. For example, the same Python + GUI code would work under the Win32 toolkit, or the GTK toolkit or MacOS... even Curses, but without appearing to be a thin wrapper over any vendor's model.

The "AnyGUI" project aims for this. It's "abstracted" GUI support is not mature (almost 0.2), but it does have working demos and is very interesting a concept.

-Scott

(really what I'd

--
David J. C. Beach