mysql and volume

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 05:18:52PM -0400, FRamsay at castelhq.com wrote:

> Ok, how well does mysql handle very high volume... say 200,000+
> transactions per hour.
> The configuration would be very simple, one server one db, no backup server
> (fault recovery would be a reset of the DB).
> And the transactions would mostly be updates and selects.

Depends on size of records and the read/write mix.

If you can segregate updates from reads, then build a second box in
slave mode that will do reads only, and have the master do the updates.
(You can almost linearly scale read performance this way by adding
slaves, incidentally.)

When in doubt, test. Set it up, generate a test load that matches what
you would be doing in the real world, and see.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer / pre-sales engineer available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr