GRUB Loading stage2Geom Error

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:32:16PM -0400, Wizard wrote:

> I'm not telling you that there isn't some sort of workaround, I'm just
> saying that it would probably be easier to just reinstall Linux. This is an
> issue that I have heard of numerous times since Win2k, and If there was an
> easy work around, I should think it wouldn't have been such a common
> problem.

I've installed Windows 2000, XP, etc. after Linux on many machines.  If
you install multiple versions of Windows, you want to install them in
chronological order: i.e. Win 98, then W2k, then XP, etc.  The last
Windows installed will take care of booting the others.  I typically use
lilo, for no reason other than that's what I started with.  I've used
grub and like it, but I'm not as familiar w/ it.  Anyway, if you install
Win over Linux, then just boot w/ a rescue disk, edit lilo.conf as req'd
to point to partition where the last Windows you installed resides*, and
use the '-r root-directory' option to chroot to wherever the rescue disk
mounted your linux install when running 'lilo'.

* e.g.:
other=/dev/hda3
        label=Windows
        optional