sethg's job search, version 2.0

I am expanding my job search to include both full-time programming jobs
and full-time tech-writing jobs.  I haven't given up hope of landing a
programming job, but I think I might have better luck as a writer who
can code than as a coder who can write.

When I got my tech-writing job at Kenan back in '98, everyone who could
spell "HTML" was getting money thrown at them.  With the market the way
it is today, I don't want to rely on my good luck and my ability to
click monster.com links to get my next job.  Therefore, I would like to
talk to people who are in a position to hire or manage tech writers,
*not* to push my resume on them, but to get their advice.  If any of you
can refer me to people in such positions, or people who know people in
such positions, I would be eternally grateful.

I'm particularly interested in small software companies that only have
one tech writer -- not to convince them to hire a second one, but to
find out how that first one got hired.

Thanks in advance,
--
"Hurd will be out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows),..."
  --Linus Torvalds, 5 October 1991