From: discuss-admin at blu.org [mailto:discuss-admin at blu.org]On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 7:53 AM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Linux RH9 and Orinoco wireless 802.11b card

  I recently installed Red Hat 9 on my laptop in an effort begin learning
about Linux. My installation went well but I'm having trouble config. my
wireless card to access my Local network.

  I began by booting RH 9 which goes directly into the GUI and the accessing
the network configuration "wizard". I entered "new" and "wireless
connection".

  Of the options for different wireless cards I selected the one listed as
"Lucent, orinoco, and Prism II-based PCMCIA wireless (etho)"

  (next screen) Mode, I chose the default "mode". Now here's something
interesting in the network name (SSID) there is a "specified" network called
"Michael" I know that this is a network belonging to a neighbor (no WEP by
the way) My network is called Steve (WEP). So I changed the SSID to my
network and entered my hexadecimal password where it called for "Key). I
notice that since I have specified "managed" in the "mode" field the
"Channel" field is shaded and indicates "1". My network is on channel 10
according to my router?

  I have dhcp set for automatic and DNS as automatic.

  Now that this is completed I am back to the original network config screen
and enter "activate".

  A screen indicates that it is activating the device eth0.........

  I reveive the error message:

  Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A)
  SET failed on device eth0...iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
failed.
  iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

  I did go back and tried changing "managed" to "specified" and changing the
channel to 10 but no luck.

  I have also tried changing to "Ad-Hoc" with no luck.

  It appears that the card is functional and I'm just missing some detail. I
am totally new to Linux and would appreciated any suggestions.

  shauck