SCO Unix Intellectual Property Pedigree Chart

In my old history, AT&T Bell Labs owned the term UNIX.  It was source code
back then.  It got spun off with most of Bell Labs to Lucent, who sold off
UNIX
to someone else (I forget who), and from then it was purchased by SCO.

SCO did a good thing, they by supporing The Open Group got the term and
brand UNIX into ownership of The Open Group.  From there it has been changed
from source code being the definition of UNIX to a set of standards.  People
or
companies can have their code tested and certified to the UNIX standard (at
various
levels).  Once you have fully passed all the standards, you can use UNIX as
descriptor for your UNIX.

In this arena, Linux is not UNIX (like the GNU saying), but someone a few
years ago did pay for it to run the gauntlet through the first level of
certification.
Which it did pass.

Some code like SCO Unix, and I think Solaris, Compaq UNIX have all passed
the qualification tests.  I would be supprised if AIX had not.

In any case, IMHO, UNIX is now defined as a set of specifications that any
given OS that terms itself to be a UNIX must adheer to, and before they can
use the term UNIX, must be tested and certified.

Now, someone, anyone, please correct me! ... JC