Concatenating production and change libraries for a web site

If you use a consistent path/name scheme, you should be able to process a
URL and always know where the "evil twin" lives (if they exist at all).
example:

/pending/results.html
/production/results.html

Then you'll need to modify the 404 error processor, so it does something
like this:

Serve /new/results.html... but if the file does not exist, it triggers the
404. Modify the 404 error script:
    if (REQUEST matches "pending") {
        $retryurl = REQUEST
        $retryurl = s/pending/production/    # OK, try production
        GET $retryurl
    } else{
        #standard 404 handling
    }

I've seen this done, and I believe it was in the 404 handler. By now there
might be an Apache module for it, but I don't know of one.

-Scott