(no subject)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Abhishake Pathak" <abhishake00 at yahoo.com>
To: <discuss at blu.org>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 4:01 PM
Subject: (no subject)

> I had a hardware question if that is ok.  One of my
> machines kept restarting and eventually stopped
> working which i was not there to notice.  My first
> guess was that it was the cpu as the cpu fan was not
> running.
A CPU fan should run as long as it is getting power, and is not a broken
fan. If the CPU breaks, the fan will keep going...

> after installing a new one i realized that
> it was not the cpu.  i cable within the computer to
> make sure that the power supply wasn't damaged but
> that seems to be fine as well.  the only thing left is
> the motherboard.  my processor fan and another fan
> attached to the motherboard do not seem to be getting
> any power.

If you can see the fans are not spinning at all,
I'd suggest buying an adapter for your fan power and getting the juice from
your drive bay power leads. A 4-pin Molex to 3-pin fans adapter should be no
more than $4 at a PC shop.

People sometimes use these when the use high-powered fans.... the power
leads on a motherboard cannot support the really fast fans. Note that you
won't get a fan-rpm signal if you power via the drive bay plugs so your PC
and BIOS will still say 0rpm. You need to open the case and look at the fan
to see.

>  nothing shows up on the monitor when i
> turn on the power.  and at the other end of the
> motherboard a green led lights up when powered up.

This means you have power to the motherboard. It won't help you isolate the
fan problems.

> i'm inclined to say that it is the motherboard but i
> cannot confirm that for sure.  can someone please
> point me in the right direction as to what i could do?
>  would this confirm that it is my motherboard that has
> been damaged?  thank you very much.

Not knowing more info, you haven't said anything that indicates a defective
motherboard. Its possible your fan power leads are broken or something like
that, in which case the drive bay power adapter for your fans is a good
diagnostic (or workaround).