no-productlinks

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 12:03, John Chambers wrote:

> I've seen these before and wondered who/what uses them.  I  just  did
> another  check  with google, found 184 instances of x-no-productlinks
> for example, and didn't see any specs in the list.  Lots of uses, and
> a  few  comments  about it (usually having to do with deja.news), but
> nothing defining these headers.  Is there anything around that really
> says what (if anything) they officially mean?

I thought this instituted back when deja.com decided to tart up their
Usenet archives by transforming advertisers' names into hyperlinks.
I.e., if you were browsing the deja.com netnews archives and came across
a posting that said "Microsoft sucks", it would be rendered as "<a
href='http://microsoft.com/'>Microsoft</a> sucks".

As far as I know, since the deja.com folks sold out to Google, these
headers no longer serve any purpose.  But I could be wrong.

--
"[A]s a quick survey of the current workplace will painfully reveal,
knowledge of Computer Science is not a prerequisite for being a