Home Linux box can't send to AOL this week

Hi anthony , could you please not top post?
Its much easier to track what has been done and the order it was done
in when we follow the "bottom posting" standard.  thanks.

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 01:31:28PM -0400, Anthony J. Gabrielson wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I'm doing this under solaris.  I have created an
> /etc/mail/mailertable.db file that has these contents:
> aol.com         smtp:mail.attbi.com
> netscape.net    smatp:mail.attbi.com
>
> I have also added this line to my senmail.cf
> Kmailertable hash -o  /etc/mail/mailertable.db
>
> Have a missed something - I still can't send to aol.com....  I really hate
> aol anyway, why is this a concern....

Hi Anthony.

For sendmail configuration I use the sendmail.mc file which generates
a sendmail.cf file using the m4 macro processor so I can't help you to
much with direct sendmail.cf questions.  The information about
 Kmailertable hash -o  /etc/mail/mailertable.db
comes directly from the O'Reilly bat book on sendmail.

I notice there are at least four lines in my generated sendmail.cf
that deal with mailertables.
 grep mailertable sendmail.cf
#####  $Id: mailertable.m4,v 8.18 1999/07/22 17:55:35 gshapiro Exp $  #####
Kmailertable hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db
R< $+ > $*              $: < $(mailertable $1 $) > $2   lookup
###  Ruleset 90 -- try domain part of mailertable entry         ###
R$* <$- . $+ > $*       $: $1$2 < $(mailertable .$3 $@ $1$2 $@ $2 $) > $4
R$* < $* > $*           $: < $(mailertable . $@ $1$2 $) > $3    try "."
R< $* > $*              $@ $2                           no mailertable match

Can you use a sendmail.mc file instead?

Another easier fix is to just relay all of your mail through your
ISP mail service.

Looks like this in sendmail.mc:
define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.attbi.com')dnl

Unless you have reasons for not wanting your mail to go through attbi/comcast.

Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz at kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an
acceptance of the offer at http://www.kinz.org/policy.html.
Don't forget to change your password often.