Mailing list etiquette question

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, David Kramer wrote:
> Personally, I wouldn't have invited him to the list, and certainly not while
> he is still working there.  It will change the nature of the list, and people
> will be afraid to say certain things.  Maybe you're OK with that though.

It was a tough call.  I wanted the list to be a social keep-in-contact
thing, rather than a bitch session.  I was also fooling myself into
believing that the minute you're unemployed you can stop thinking of
your former boss as your former boss and start thinking of him as just
another guy, but that's really not true.  The burning bridges concept
does come into play, after all.

I wrote him back nicely and said exactly what was suggested - that
he is welcome to invite people to speak up and say hello, but other
than that, general mailing list etiquette says that people have the
right to lurk and an expectation of privacy.

Duane