D-Link firewall with Linux

rich writes:
| Sorry to hear that the linksys didn't work.  I've heard alot of complaints from friends about theirs, but mine runs fine, I'm very happy with it.  I want to replace it though, with something from snapgear.com, probably their LITE+, a little more expensive than a linksys or d-link, but its running linux and you can ssh into it and administer it =).

A while back, I got a Linksys cable/dsl router, and I was never  able
to  get  it  to  work,  either.   I  followed  the  instructions  for
configuring it via a browser,  but  I  was  never  able  to  get  any
response from it at all. I did see a number of blinking lights when I
typed commands, but it just wouldn't talk to the browsers  on  either
my linux or my wife's windoze boxes.

But one of my linux boxes has two NICs,  so  I  dug  in  and  learned
enough about linux firewalling to make it do the job.  This was a lot
more successful.

The Linksys was a waste of time and money in my case. (If you use the
hourly rate on my job as the time-money conversion ratio, it wasted a
lot more time than money.)