[static] linking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:50:30 -0500
"Patrick R. McManus" <mcmanus at ducksong.com> wrote:

> [miah: Mar 19 18:56]
> > According to the FHS (www.pathname.com/fhs) its not required that
> > binaries in /sbin be statically linked.  And if you put /lib on a
> > seperate partiton you're really asking for trouble anyways.
> >

> and I'm sure knowing this provides great comfort when your binaries
> don't run.
Binaries in /sbin are not required to be linked staticly, but they
should be able to run in single user mode with no other file systems
mounted. On Tru64 Unix we decided to put libc.so in /lib so that we
could build most of the contents of /sbin as sharable binaries. But,
there are a few utilities that should be linked staticly, such as mv, cp
and rm.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group