Thin Clients

Linux Terminal Server Project
http://www.ltsp.org

I've been using this at home for years.  Works great with diskless clients.
I can bring a demo to the session on Wednesday and demonstrate afterwords if
you're interested.

Basically, this solution is  diskless clients attaching to a
centralized single server.  Thus, a "decent" server is required and then
you can stick whatever onto the net for a x-term.  If you're looking for
cheap solutions, I'd go for these Compaq SFF PII 350 systems that have been
dumping on ebay ($30 a pop with $30 shipping). I picked up 2 and they work
great with LTSP.

Any PC will do for the client...  I'd avoid specialized thin-clients if you
want to go for an all Linux solution.  Plain PC's are best.

As far as your server goes, I'd recommend at least a PIII with plenty
of memory (8 clients = 1GB min) and a good set of disks (SCSI).  Of course
this all varies depending upon which window manage & browser you want to use.
GNOME = a lot more resources than say ICEwm, WindowMaker, etc...

Last, I'd recommend a switched 100MB network (or better).