Linux Installation

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 02:48:21PM -0500, David Lapointe wrote:
> I'd like to install Linux on an older laptop but it doesn't have a cdrom ( a
> workable one).  If I wanted to install locally ( from another machine with a
> cd and plenty of HD) how would I set that up?

Most Linux distros have boot floppy images that let you install over
the network. The drill for a laptop is something like this:

1) Identify the boot floppy image for installing over a network or
   over PCMCIA-type devices (depending on what type of network device
   you're using from the laptop).

2) Copy the image to a floppy using "dd".

3) Set up the distribution on the desktop machine to be reachable through
   http, ftp, or nfs.

4) Network the laptop and PC together - such as through a common router
   or a crossover cable.

5) Boot the laptop from the floppy you made, and point it at the
   distro you made available over the network on the other PC.

Nathan Meyers
nmeyers at javalinux.net