Cable/ADSL routers with print spooler

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 07:52:11 -0500
Bill Horne <bill at billhorne.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Thanks for reading this. I've written to ask for help selecting a
> Cable/ADSL router for my house.
>
> I've been using Redhat 7.1 and an old 486 for my firewall, but it's
> showing its age and I'd like something quieter, so I'm looking to buy
> a Cable/ADSL router.
>
> I've had good results with a Linksys BEFSR41, but it doesn't have a
> print spooler, and since my Redhat box handles printing for the
> other machines on my home lan, I'd like a router with a print spooler
> included.
>
> So, please give your opinions on the best price/value combination for
> a home Cable/ADSL router having these features:
>
> 1. 10/100 Ethernet switch (not hub)
> 2. Four Ethernet ports minimum.
> 3. Print spooler
> 4. Ability to block or allow traffic -
>    A. By machine MAC address
>    B. By TCP port
>
> Of course, other bells and whistles are welcome but not essential.
Both Linksys (http://www.linksys.com) and Netgear
(http://www.netgear.com) have exactly what you want. I've been using the
Linksys boxes for several years with zero problems. JABR brings his
Linksys wireless box to the meetings. Once you find the model you want,
you generally can get it online for about 10% or 20% less than retail.
I bought mine at Amazon with free shipping to boot.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group