Redhat 8 the hard way... adding GNOME afterwards

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:43:36AM -0500, Scott Prive wrote:
> I was trying to avoid THAT because I'm a software QA tester (recently
> unemployed; need a job!), and I pride myself on solving and understanding
> problems. :-)
>
> But it looks like the benefit of understanding this one is disproportionate
> to the effort, so I'll do a CD software update and move on...

  If it's not too late...

  I *think* the switchdesk* apps have been deprecated.  Now, when you log
in from gdm, select the "Sessions" option on the bottom of the screen.
Select gnome, and then, if it's not your default, you will be asked if
you want it to be the default for subsequent logins.
  To set it globally for all users, but before they login for the first time
(otherwise, their .Xclients* files will already have been setup by their
first login), change the DESKTOP= line in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to
DESKTOP=GNOME, if it isn't that already.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator