Fwd: Linux guru needed to write device driver. Burlington, Massachusetts.

Wizard said:

> I'm not so sure it's that easy. I haven't written any true OS device
> drivers, but I have written hardware-level code, 8051 embedded code,
> and 80x86 assembly language stuff, and for that I really had to
> understand some things about how the hardware itself worked <snip>

But of course! You're dealing with a much lower level than a user-land
application. I never said it would be easy. Just perhaps easier than
starting from scratch. I also remember posts on other lists suggesting
this as well. I started college as an EE major, so I'm not _100%_ (maybe
90%) clueless about these sorts of things. ;-)

> I don't know that it would be a
> simple thing for someone lacking that experience to just 'pick-up' (I
> could easily be wrong though). I don't think that most high-level
> languages like Perl, Tcl, C++, or even C reflect what the machine is
> actually doing.

I never said it would be simple. ;-) But I would agree with you 100%. I
don't understand all the gritty details of say, how perl expands an
existing array. (I do know it grows exponentially so it doesn't have to
keep malloc'ing a new array every other time I shift().) All I need to
know that someone smart implemented it and it just works. That's why I
like high level languages because I can get things done quickly.

Everything has it's place.

Drew Taylor          *  Web app development & consulting
drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres