Fwd: Linux guru needed to write device driver. Burlington, Massachusetts.

Wizard wrote:
> I'm not so sure it's that easy. I haven't written any true OS device
> drivers, but I have written hardware-level code, 8051 embedded code, and
> 80x86 assembly language stuff, and for that I really had to understand some
> things about how the hardware itself worked ....

That's something along the lines of what I was thinking, too. I've done
some assembly programming as well, and I have to say that if I hadn't
had the books and the coursework surrounding that--if I'd just looked at
the assembly code itself--I would have been all but lost ("what the hell
is a 'shamt'?" I would be saying to myself). Higher-level languages are
easier because (I imagine) they're designed to be closer to human
languages and in the cases of some, like Perl, let you use almost any
syntax you want (call a function without parentheses? Use double quotes
instead of single? No problem!).

On the other hand, a book called "Linux Device Drivers, Second Edition"
really does sound promising. :)

-Chris