procmail

At 11:15 AM 2/24/03 -0500, mike ledoux wrote:

>Just remove your last rule, which is duplicating part of the functionality
>of DEFAULT.

I did remove that rule after I sent the initial email.

Here's the .qmail control file for this mailbox:

cat .qmail-drewtaylor:com-drew
# FILTER drew at drewtaylor.com /usr/local/bin/procmail
# MAILBOX drewtaylor.com at drew@drew
|preline -f bouncesaying 'Message rejected by mailbox due to space
constraints.' /usr/local/libexec/virtual.local -f
${SENDER:-${USER:-UNKNOWN}} username/drewtaylor.com/drew

The problem seems to be that after procmail runs, qmail keeps delivering
the email to the primary mbox file. Here's what I want to happen:

1. procmail runs
2. If a filter is matched, stop qmail from further processing (return code
99 I think)
3. If no filter matches, have qmail continue delivering the email normally

>Huh?  Your ~/.procmailrc should not be used by other users.  If you
>still want this check, I guess you could probably work something out,
>but if you don't deliver the message with a rule it will either go to
>your DEFAULT folder, or to /dev/null.

Here's the short version: I have a shared hosting account (with pair.com)
which has many domains hosted with a single login. They use qmail for the
MTA. To filter email with procmail, I add a "filter" for a specific email
address which is "|/usr/local/bin/procmail". This says to me that each
domain will all go through the same procmail rc file. So for each of the
20+ domains hosted there, email for foo at example1.com and bar at example2.com
will both get filtered via ~/.procmailrc.

My thinking was that for each mailbox to be filtered, I have a separate
procmail recipe file, which is included via INCLUDERC. Then each user's
file can check to see if it is addressed to them, and if not skip to the
next rule file. At this point I'm the only one using procmail so it's not
really an issue.

>The man pages for procmail are excellent.  The 'procmail' man page covers
>general usage, 'procmailrc' covers the configuration file, 'procmailsc'
>covers scoring, and 'procmailex' has lots of good examples.  Chances are
>there is an example for what you want to do in the 'procmailex' man page.

I had briefly looked over the man pages for procmail and procmailrc. I'll
take a look at promailex tonight. Thanks for your help.

Drew

--
Drew Taylor                | Web development & consulting
http://www.drewtaylor.com/ | perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres