KDE refuses to start, part 2

On Friday 21 February 2003 05:34 pm, Derek Martin wrote:
> Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but in this case, it's a bug that can't
> be fixed (portably).  See my last post.  Since KDE is intended to run
> on any POSIX-like system, that's a problem.  IMO, noclobber should be
> removed from the specification of the POSIX shell.  If you want the
> option, fine; but trying to account for it breaks the ability to write
> portable applications.

My point was not that thse scripts should have been written to be ready for
features not implemented yet, but they should have checked for failure,
whatever the reason.

What if the partition filled up for a few seconds?

What if the file was owned by someone else and 600?

What if the filesystem runs out of inodes?

Scripts need to check for failure to the extent that they can, just like
compiled programs.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D        On a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy!
DK KD
DDDD