Technical Linux questions

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 10:21, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> The two, as you might imagine, are connected. I need to respond to
> possible input from up to a thousand different ports, and spawning
> a process to listen on each isn't working - probably too
> many processes. But if I have a program listen on 10 sockets, can I
> respond fast enough? How about 100? All the sockets won't be in use
> at the same time, but I never know which ones exactly are needed.
> Perhaps I need to do something like inetd, and just listen on a
> bunch of sockets and spawn off the process to handle the input
> when needed?

Spawning processes (especially that many) takes some serious system
resources.  Have you considered using threads instead?

As to whether or not 100 processes could each handle 10 clients or not
depends greatly on how quickly the requests come in and how much
processing time each request takes, etc.

--
"Things are fine, the upcoming semester approaches like a brick wall
 and we're in a 1962 Corvair with no brakes."  - Paul Sand

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com