Fixed it

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:31:37 -0500
Duane Morin <dmorin at morinfamily.com> wrote:

> Have you never noticed that, in the computer world, people solve
> problems two different ways --  one kind treats the system like a
> living patient, doing every possible form of observation and
> non-intrusive tweaking to try to arrive at a conclusion, leaving
> "reset it" as a last option (much like if you had a living patient),
> and the second group says "reset it" as the first option?  I wonder if
> it's fair to attribute that to time management on the part of the help
> desks around the world, or if it really is just a lack of true problem
> solving skills.
It's also a cost thing. Sometimes it is cheaper to spend a couple of
minutes to reboot than to try to troubleshoot a problem. In the Windows
world (especially 9x), a broken application has a much more serious
effect on the entire system, even after that application has been
stopped. In the Unix and Linux world, once you stop an application, it
generally returns all its resources back to the OS. Linux has gone
through some maturing over the years. Today, it is a very stable
platform, but a few short years ago it had stability problems.

When I installed a version of SuSE (I think it was 8.0) on my laptop, I
had some strange problems. As I remembered some issues on installation,
I reinstalled and the system ran stable after that.

But, if you take the reset option, then you must periodically reset,
where if you debug and find the solution, then it will pay off over a
period of time.