Fixed it

Thanks everybody for the help.  I spent my Sunday taking all four of my
machines down to the basement (where the router is), setting it up so that
cable modem went right to server (so that I wouldn't lose mail for the
duration), flashed the router as per the instructions of the linksys dude,
and everything seems to be working peachy.  While I was in there I upgraded
the firmware, too, and changed my wireless security settings.  Thanks again
for all the help and suggestions.  I wish I could say why the particular
problem happened in the first place, but <shrug> I tried.

Have you never noticed that, in the computer world, people solve problems
two different ways --  one kind treats the system like a living patient,
doing every possible form of observation and non-intrusive tweaking to try
to arrive at a conclusion, leaving "reset it" as a last option (much like
if you had a living patient), and the second group says "reset it" as the
first option?  I wonder if it's fair to attribute that to time management
on the part of the help desks around the world, or if it really is just a
lack of true problem solving skills.

Duane