[OT] Visual C++ question

>> Derek Martin <blu at sophic.org> wrote:
>> Especially since your Unix environment is going away...

JF> I don't know about the computer science dept at NEU. The courses I
JF> teach are given by University College and are MIS courses. I would
JF> expect that a computer science department has special labs and
JF> workstations for the students.

The unix systems at COE and CCIS aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
CCIS is all Solaris, with 10 Linux machines in one of the labs (that
number is expected to increase).  DAC (the people providing computing
services to University College) is trying to get rid of the
alphas that are lynx.dac.neu.edu because it is much cheaper to hire 20
Lotus admins to run a really terribly portal/mail thing than to just
leave the old infrastructure.  Plus, any admins in charge of the
alphas might realize just how bad their network design is and try to
correct it.

-kevin

--
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate!