Weymouth, Ma 02190
781-337-6311
781-337-6245(F)
mcdonald at masspolicecorps.com
www.masspolicecorps.com

I received a telephone call last evening form an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T service technician who was conducting a test on
telephone lines.  He stated that to complete the test I should touch
nine (9), zero (0), and pound sign (#), and then hang up.  Luckily, I
was suspicious and refused.  Upon contacting the telephone company, I
was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual
full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long
distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originated from many
local jails/prisons.  I have also verified this information with UCB
Telecom, Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic, and GTE.  Please beware.  DO
NOT PRESS 90# for anyone.  The GTE security department requested I share
this information with everyone I know.  Please pass this on to everyone
you know.  If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters form
organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass on this
information to them.

After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial (9),
zero (0), the pound sign (#), and hang up for anybody!