From: discuss-admin at blu.org [mailto:discuss-admin at blu.org] On Behalf Of
Vince McHugh
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 23:07
To: dsr at tao.merseine.nu
Cc: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: ATT BroadBand Port Blocking
<snip>

 From this post it seems like the discussion was
someone from outside of the local network trying to
use nmap to port scan.

 If this is the case there is no way an ISP could know
that this is one friendly person trying to help out
another (with no evil intention).

 The reason I brought up the issue was because of post
from another mailing list where an individual had his
box hacked and ATT shut him down (turned off his
internet connection) because his box was detected port
scanning others. He had a H*ll of a time convincing
ATT to turn his service back on.

 I'm not looking to start a flame war over this. We're
all "big boys" with free will. Do as you please.

             Regards,
           Vince McHugh