ATT BroadBand Port Blocking

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:46:10PM -0800, Vince McHugh wrote:
>    You may want to be careful using nmap. Some ISPs
> regard port scanning as cracking or a prelude to
> cracking and may shut down your internet service. Nmap
> is a cool tool but is also used by the "black hats" to
> see what services are open so they can then attemp to
> crack the box.

No ISP is going to notice or care if you are scanning your own box.

Many ISPs will scan all their own customers periodically to check for
vulnerabilities.

(ATT even tries to exploit a non-existent open mail relay on my machine
once a month.)

-dsr-

--
Network engineer looking for work in Boston area.
Resume at http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/