Reading Ctrl Key?

Anyone have a short C fragment that reads the state of the control
key?  I expect to run it under X, but if it runs on a straight
console, that's cool too.

What's up is I found out that my Sony Vaio does have the ability to
read the scroll wheel, as of kernel 2.4.7 or so.  And I found a
fragment of code that changes the volume.  Cool, I listen to internet
radio a lot, put them together and I have handy volume control.  (Mute
too when I click.)

Next, I would like to have the turning the wheel with the control key
mean to change the backlight brightness (I found a fragment for that
too).  Bonus: how to turn Vaio 505 backlight off altogether, my
fragment doesn't go that far.

Thanks a bunch,

-kb