broadband in east Watertown

Drew Taylor <drew at drewtaylor.com> writes:

> During my initial speedtest with dslreports, it reported 1700+/286 for
> the cable modem. The cheapest speakeasy package is about $20 more than
> my cable modem service, and for a lot less bandwidth. Still, I'd take
> DSL over cable modem if I could because my old service w/ SE in
> Lexington was excellent. Almost no downtime and I could get a static
> IP. :-)

Actually, RCN now offers a static IP....  But they are charging like
$29.95/mo for it.

I do admit that the downtime is annoying.  I was down for about 6
hours the other week.  It makes it hard for a telecommuting employee
to get any work done when your net goes down.  Sometimes I feel like
I'm the only one who ever reports problems to them.  At one point I
was on a first-name basis with a nimber of their noc members.

> Drew

-derek