broadband in east Watertown

At 11:00 AM 1/17/03 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

>The major issue I have with the concept of speakeasy (or any other
>DSL) is that I don't think I can get nearly as much capacity as I can
>with the CM, let alone for a decent price.  I'm something like 12.5-k'
>from the CO, and the best that any DSL company will offer me is
>384kbps, which can't match the 1-3Mb I get from RCN.

I know what you mean. I just got cable modem service in the North End from
ATT Broadband on Tue (and it happens to have gone down yesterday!). I
couldn't get DSL due to digital equipment in the CO, which is <5k feet from
me. And wireless is horribly expensive.

During my initial speedtest with dslreports, it reported 1700+/286 for the
cable modem. The cheapest speakeasy package is about $20 more than my cable
modem service, and for a lot less bandwidth. Still, I'd take DSL over cable
modem if I could because my old service w/ SE in Lexington was excellent.
Almost no downtime and I could get a static IP. :-)

Drew
--
Drew Taylor                | Web development & consulting
http://www.drewtaylor.com/ | perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres