Public end-user nameservers...

Chuck Young writes:
| looks like we are being bought by Level 3 of Colorado and will maintain a
| "close" business relationship with Verizon.
|
| Interesting to know that Verizon's DSL service is less than ideal for lack of
| nameservices :-) and I agree with the posters who suggest doing your own or
| using your ISP's servers (if they are reliable).  Good luck!

Yeah; we have RCN service here, and their nameservers suck.
Some time back, I got tired of the long pauses, and started
using one of the MIT nameservers.  It's much faster.

I also have 4.2.2.1 on my list of nameservers, but it's  13
hops  away,  and takes around 80 ms rather than 20, so it's
just for when the path to MIT has a roadblock.  For others,
this might be the fastest nameserver.

There's really no strong reason to use an ISP's nameservers
except that they are usually only 2 hops away.  But if they
don't work, it doesn't really much  matter  how  fast  they
don't work.