Apple releases X11 implementation and new browser using KHTML

Greetings,

IDG's Macworld Expo is going on right now in San Francisco, and today was
Steve Jobs' keynote presentation, riddled with new technology and
products. Two of them in particular I felt were of interest to the UNIX
crowd.

1) X11 for Mac OS X

Those familiar with Mac OS X will note that there are already several ways
to get X11 running on your machine, but thus far none have been provided
directly by Apple for use specifically on the Mac OS X platform.

Steve did not mention this in his keynote, from what I can tell, but the
"Beta" version is now available for download.

I have not had a chance to evaluate it yet, so I can't make any comments
as to its usability. Just wanted to provide a link for those who might be
interested in checking it out:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/

2) Safari

Jobs' today also announced the release of an Apple-branded, Mac OS X web
browser called "Safari," which uses KDE's KHTML libraries for its webpage
rendering. Again, I haven't had a chance to evaluate this yet, but wanted
to provide a link for those who want to give it a try:

http://www.apple.com/safari/

I'll probably get a chance to try them out myself later this week. :-)

Peter
--
Peter R. Wood - lists at prwdot.org - http://peter.prwdot.org/