Java Plugin

Hi,
  I have RedHat 8.0 and Mozilla 1.0.1.  For some reason, I think the RH8.0
CDs did not have JRE, so java plugins did not seem to work.  So, I
downloaded JRE 1.3.1.06, installed it, and after some trouble got plugins to
work.  But now, when I tried it, the machine is painfully slow.  In fact, I
am not even sure if the applet came on.  I closed the app after about 20
mins and gave up.  Each mouse click took about 5 mins to react.
  fyi, I have  a Dell Dimension 8100 with 128MB RAM and 384MB swap.
  So, basically, I would like reasonable performance and java plugins to
work on my mozilla.  Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

let me know,
thanks and regards,
-kalyan