AS2100 OSF/1 box...

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 04:50:21PM -0500, Wizard wrote:
>    As I plan on trying to sell this heap (I figure that there must be a few
> left that need parts and I could use the cash), I was wondering what folks
> thought as to what OS to would be best to load. Here are what I understand
> my options are:
> NetBSD alpha, although they don't appear to support this particular box.
> RedHat 7.1?
> Debian 3
> or just leave OSF/1 3.2c on it. It would be nice to have X running on it
> though.
>    Suse no longer appears to have alpha ports, and from everything I have
> read slackware is a beast to get running on alpha. Any help is appreciated.

RedHat announced they were not going to support Alpha or SPARC
architectures any more.

On the other hand, I think the installed base of Red Hat Alphas is much
larger than the installed base of Debian Alphas.

On the gripping hand, anyone who buys it from you will be reloading
their own OS from scratch, so they just want to know that it is in good
shape.

I would leave OSF/1 running on it, unless you are planning on getting
more use out of it before selling it.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer looking for work in Boston area.
Resume at http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/