Raid Array failure on linux server

I brought the machine I discussed in previous messages
to the manufacturer,  Mainboard in Waltham.  The
bootup was reporting an array failure and the Adaptec
system would not rebuild the array.  (Raid 1,
Mirroring).

The adaptec controller rebuilds test drives and
neither harddrive will rebuilt a blank harddrive put
in as its partner.  Mainboard, of course,  says that
there is some user error involved.  The only system
issue that we've touched has been the Redhat 8.0
security levels and the tripwire program.

Mainboard suggests doing a 5 gig backup,  reformatting
the two drives, rebuilding the array,  and putting
back the data.  I would much prefer to know what the
problem is and solving it rather than brute forcing
the problem and finding that it's back again the next
week.

Any suggestions?