console login without CDs

Grant,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:49:01PM -0500, Wizard wrote:
> Ok, I just had someone hand me an Alpha 2100 4/233 without any CDs (or
> anything other than the box, for that matter). I have a few questions:
> 1.> Are the peripherals standard (keyboard, monitor, mouse)? The ports look
> standard. I can't get the Compaq/HP sites serial# search to work, so I
> haven't been able to get the info from there.

All standard.

> 2.> It has what looks like a standard IEC cord connector on the PS, but
> there is no sticker (it may have been peeled - there are remnants). Any way
> to tell if this is 120VAC other that trial and error (it's the 'error' I'm
> worried about)?

Yup, 120VAC connector.

> 3.> I'll need to boot single user, with no root password. Can I even do this
> without the CD? I'm guessing that it's running OSF/1, but I did notice that
> the filesys is listed on the outside of the box as BSDsomething, so I could
> be wrong.

Yes, it is possible.  If OSF/1 / Digital UNIX / Tru64 UNIX, something like

   >>> boot dka0 -fl s

will come up single-user.  Try each disk in turn, using

   >>> show devices

to get a listing of device IDs.

> 4.> It comes with 3 SCSI RZ28M-VA drives. Does anyone know what size these
> are?

These are 2.1GB, 5400 rpm, narrow SCSI-2 drives.  My notes indicate they
are basically Seagate ST32430's.

> That's it. Any help would be appreciated.
> Grant M.

MarkG