Request for assistance

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:14:08AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
> Are you talking about sendmail on your own server rejecting mail, or mail
> that you've sent through sendmail on your own server being rejected?

I'm using Mutt, which uses sendmail, to forward mail to a mail server which,
from my telnet contacts, seems to be running smtp at port 25.

> What does the "hostname" command return on your system?

It gives my local hostname, which I've configured as my isp username.  I've
also given it, in /etc/hosts, my isp's domain, so that hostname -f returns
username.intergate.com.

> A hostname should not have a @ in it.  The parameter to HELO is the hostname
> of the client (not the email address of the sender), so there should never be
> an @ on the HELO line in an SMTP conversation.

But the problem is that the mail server knows my machine when I use telnet, but
not when I use sendmail.