Request for assistance

On Thursday 19 December 2002 09:44 am, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance--I'm an advanced newbie.  I've telneted to my mail
> server and sent messages.  The messages which my sendmail has bounced
> indicate that the server is unable to get my machine's hostname.  I
> experimented with telnet using many names (including a dot) after HELO
> and was recognized, but was rejected whenever the name had an @ in it.
> I strongly suspect that my sendmail is trying to use localmailer at localhost
> to contact the server.  Do you know how I can edit sendmail.cf to stop
> using a @ in the HELO line?

I'm sorry I haven't been monitoring this thread.

Are you talking abou sendmail on your own server rejecting mail, or mail that
you've sent through sendmail on your own server being rejected?

What does the "hostname" command return on your system?

A hostname should not have a @ in it.  The parameter to HELO is the hostname
of the client (not the email address of the sender), so there should never be
an @ on the HELO line in an SMTP conversation.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really
DKK D  embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen
DK KD  an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a
DDDD   lot more careful about what they say if they had.      Linus Torvalds