redhat 7.0 boot hang issue

On Friday 06 December 2002 03:39 pm, Hugh Rutledge wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.  It's informative.
>
> Brilliant me.  We purchased the machine with no CD or
> floppy drives,  software preloaded.  (It doesn't use
> anything but the internet connection in normal use.)
> Can this process be done without a floppy drive?

It is certainly possible using several network techniques, but in the long run
you will be much better off buying an IDE cdrom drive for $30.  Better yet
buy a CDR or CDRW for just a little more.

I will second other comments so far, as someone who has been there, that
anything short of reformatting the drives after copying off ONLY data and
config files is too dangerous and could bring problems along to the new
install.

Personally, I would:
1) Disconnect it from the network.
2) Buy a CDRW drive, put it in.  Buy a copy of Red Hat, or download if you
have the time and bandwidth.
3) Burn one or more CDs with all your config files and data on it, along with
a list of RPMs installed currently.
4) Reformat, repartition, reinstall.
5) Hakunah Matata.

And I quoth Ripley: "Nuke 'em from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  Every space-faring race has two things in common: First, they all
DKK D  have a food identical to what humans call "Sweedish Meatballs".
DK KD  Don't ask, I don't understand it, it's just there.
DDDD                                            J'Kar, Legend Of The Rangers